Sunday, October 10, 2010

Can't we all just get along?: Part 1 - Introduction

Okay. Some of you know that much of my work has been in issues of race. A smaller group of those reading the blog know that I am moving away to deal with other issues. I will always be a thinker about racial issues. But those issues will become less important in my life. But before they do I want to use this blog to conceptualize a few thoughts I have on racial issues.
Kind of funny that we still are dealing with racism today. Okay funny is not the best word. Maybe sad is a better word. Fact of the matter is that even with a president of color, race and racism continues to plague our society. We have to continue to struggle to deal with racial issues in our society. However, I will be more of a observer than a player in that struggle in the years to come.
But before I relegate myself to cheerleader status, I will spend the next few blogs outlining some of my ideas on race and racism. In the next few blogs I will look at the major ideas that people have developed for dealing with racism. I will also critique those ideas. If you have strong ideas about how to deal with racism I will probably step on your toes. If not next entry then the entry after that one or a later entry will probably offend you. I do not accept sacred cows very easily. That is why I am a troublemaker.
Then at the end I will offer some of my own ideas. I always believe that it is easier to criticize than to create solutions. So I am certain that the solutions I offer will not perfectly solve all the racial problems. But if I am going to critique other ideas then I have to offer some of my own.
So this may be fun. I look forward to bringing my decades to work on racial issues to bear in the next few blogs. I also hope to spur some discussion and hopefully shed more light than heat.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment