Sunday, October 30, 2011

A one percenter meets his critics.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/one-per-center-peter-schiff-visits-occupy-wall-street-produces-18-minutes-of-civility/

You have to admit that this Peter Schiff has got some guts. How many of us would go down to a rally where people are complaining about us and deal with them in honest dialog. I am not saying that I totally agree with Schiff because I don't. But I highly respect a man who choose to have dialog in a situation that is not completely under his control. Especially since as a self-identified top one percent of our society he can easily keep his detractors at bay.
I hope his interaction allows some of those detractors to see that the people they oppose are, well people. Not just stereotypes of the uncaring rich. I hope he can see that his critics as individuals as well. Not just a rabble that has to be put down. When we disagree with people we are so tempted to dehumanize them and react to our stereotype of them. That is why dialog like that initiated by Peter Schiff is so important. We can still disagree with others but do so in ways that help us to find solutions instead of merely demonizing them as the enemy.
So God bless you Peter Schiff. You may not have the the right answers to our economic crisis but you do have the guts to put your ideas to those who disagree the most. I hope that I can dialog with my critics if I am ever in a similar situation. That sort of dialog is the only way we will be able to find those right answers.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment