Sunday, November 27, 2011

Celebrating Christmas

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone we can really get into the celebration of Christmas. I cannot say that I am one of these huge Christmas people. I do not do decorating and stuff like that. But Christmas does have important spiritual significance for me. And I do like hearing the Christmas songs that I only hear at this time of the year.
Because I am a Christian it is natural that Christmas has meaning to me. But do some Christians go overboard and become rude with their celebrations. There are probably some cases of that. But it does not seem to me that the generic wishing of "Merry Christmas" or talking about a Christmas tree instead of a holiday tree should be so offensive.
I remember when I was in grad school that one of the professors on my dissertation committee was Jewish. When I went to visit him about my dissertation I notice a menorah on his desk during the Christmas holidays. Even back then there was controversy about Christmas celebrations. I looked at that menorah and wondered what the fuss was all about. Looking at it did not offend me as a Christian. I felt no pressure to become Jewish or feel that he was going to treat me differently because I am not Jewish. I am as serious about my faith as they come but this did not hurt my feelings in the least. For me this was just his expression of his culture and beliefs.
I gotta wonder about people who get offended by the term Christmas or expression of "Merry Christmas." I wonder what all the fuss is about. Why do these people not see it as merely an expression of a person's faith and culture? Many of these same people often emphasis ideas about tolerance but this does not seem very tolerant to me.
So I wish to all "Merry Christmas." If you want to wish me "Happy Hanukkah" or "Good Kwanzaa" then that is fine with me. I will not be offended.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment