Saturday, September 18, 2010

Can we have it all?

How many of us have everything we want? Not many huh? Even those who are rich in income often find themselves poor in relationships or spiritual comfort or health. Troublemaker has tried to live a holistic life. He has worked on being healthy physically, intellectually, spiritually and socially. I must admit that I do not have always a great social life but am pretty satisfied in the other areas of life. But that forces me to think if I only had a better social life then everything would be great.
But would it? What if I had that great social life? Would I not then start wanting something else. Perhaps even more academic success or a better relationship with God or more knowledge. I think I will never be completely satisfied. I will always want something more than what I currently have.
But that is alright. I do not think that we are on this earth to feel fully satisfied. When we are fully satisfied then we stop struggling to make ourselves or others better. If Troublemaker hits the lottery tomorrow (highly unlikely since I do not play the lottery) and was set for life financially then hopefully other financial goals will develop. Finding ways to channel money to causes I care about or setting up foundations will become important. But then I will need more money than just enough to take care of myself. I will need money to take care of these causes. So ideally even hitting the lottery will not satisfy me financially.
Or what about our social relationship. Ideally a person in a good marriage will not be satisfied. He/She will constantly trying to make the marriage better. He/she will constantly attempt to make life better for any kids in the marriage. Just because something is good does not mean that we can be satisfied that we have arrived in life.
This brings me to an important but troubling point. We are not meant to be satisfied. We are meant to strive. This does not mean that we have to be unhappy in our striving. In fact not trying to better ourselves whether intellectually, spiritually, socially or physically may lead to a laziness that creates a loss of meaning in our lives. As a society we should attempt to make the lives of people better around us and to make our own lives better. But we should not expect to be able to "arrive" at a point where no further improvement is needed. Sometimes it seems that some people have such unrealistic expectations. But would they really be happier if they had all their desires met and no longer st rived to make their lives better?

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment