Sunday, September 26, 2010

If that is slavery then sign me up!!!

Okay I want a new law. That law is that if you make at least one million dollars a year then you can not state that you are a slave. Why would I want such a law? Becasue then I would not have to read stupid statements from someone like Haynesworth.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Albert-Haynesworth-I-am-not-a-slave?urn=nfl-272374
I will go out and a limb and say that if I am paid 32 million dollar to play football for a few years then I am not a slave if they want me to come to practice. Even if 300 pound men are tossing my skinny butt around I will still not complain about being a slave. So I need to write my congressman to get that law in place.
On a more serious note, does not Haynesworth know how insulting his statement is for people who really are or were slaves? Has he read his own history to see how badly real black slaves were treated? Does he not understand that the horrors of slavery exists today? Yet he wants to claim that type of victimization to negotiate better working conditions. Hello. You make millions of dollars a year to play a game. I thought I had a dream job as a professor, but how can any job beat that working situation?
If it was just stupid athletes who use such exaggerations then it is easy to just laugh this off. But of course we see this all the time. I put Obama and Hitler into my Google search and come up with 6,180,000 hits. Nice. When I put Bush and Hitler in my Google search I came up with 5,96,000 hits. Stupidity knows no political boundaries. Do these people really know what Hitler did? Why are they not embarrassed by making such stupid comparisons? I am betting that most of them do not have the excuse of being a dumb athlete.
When we use such extreme language we cheapen the real horrors of slavery and Hitler. But that is alright since we get to demonize our opponent. After all pushing our cause is more important than an accurate assessment of reality. I have causes I believe in as well. I hope that truth and honestly will be more important to me than merely getting my way with manipulative accusations and exaggerations.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment