Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why focus on the bad?

One of my graduate students made an interesting point last night. She pointed out that when something bad happens like 9-11 or Pearl Harbor then we develop racial stereotypes that last decades. We ruminate on the negative for years. But when we have a heart-warming story like the rescue of the Chile miners (remember them?) we feel good for a day or two and then move on. Why is it we focus on bad events much longer than good events?
It is one of the reasons I stopped watching local news a long time ago. I do not want to hear about all the murders, corruptions, and calamities that are happening around me. The saying is that if it bleeds it leads. That can not be more true when it comes to local news. Why this focus on the negative?
Believe it or not trouble-maker is an optimist at heart. I rather hear about good news than bad. Maybe I am an anomaly. But it seems that people are more entertained or drawn to tragedy than to pleasant news. I hope that is not part of the human condition but the evidence suggests that it is.
I have a suggestion. Can we try to find the good news in our lives for at least a day? Maybe a week? Who knows? It could catch on and having a positive attitude will be the popular thing to do. I know that I am dreaming but remember I am an optimist.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment