Thursday, March 24, 2011

Being Realistic about Terrorism - Part 1

Time for another series. First a disclaimer. I am not a police detective nor do I play one on TV. But I am a thoughtful person and I do think about the problems in our society. So I have some thoughts about terrorism which is clearly one of the big problems today. I am not interested in political correctness but in merely thinking clearly about such problems. So let us see where we can go with this series.

The foundation of dealing with terrorism is to be completely honest, even if that foundation is a controversial statement. That statement is that Islamic terrorism is the biggest source of terrorism that threatens our society and our world. To me this statement is so obvious that I should not have to defend it. But in our politically correct world I already know that some readers are already objecting. They are saying that I am trying to pick on Islam. I am not. I just know how to read a newspaper and follow world events.

Okay what about terrorism based in other religions? Compared to Islamic terrorism there are relatively few terrorism based on other religions. Timothy McVeigh was not religious. A few abortion doctors have been killed by what can be called Christian terrorists but these heinous crimes do not create near the amount of damage that Islamic terrorists have created. We should not ignore terrorism from other sources. But we have to be honest about the relative damage that Islamic terrorism has created.

Am I saying the Islam leads to terrorism more than other religions? All religions have had their dark days. I am not in a position to state that Islam is any more dangerous than other religions. But it is reasonable to argue that most of the other major religions have had their violent times in the past. For whatever reason, Islam is more likely to provoke violence today.

What about governmental sources of violence? Some may contend that the United States government is a terrorist given the way we have waged war. I do not like some of the wars we have gone into. But if terrorism is defined as the deliberate attempt to kill civilians in order to create terror then we are comparing apples to oranges. There is little reason for our military to gain by targeting innocent civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan. But 9-11 was a direct attempt to kill innocent people to create terror. It is not accurate to call the military terrorists unless you want to change the meaning of the word terrorists.

Why is it important to get through the PC BS to make what I think is the obvious statement about the Islamic source of terrorism? It is important because until we understand the nature of the problem then we will not be about to deal with the problem. The solution is not to demonize Muslims, but to understand how those relatively few Muslims who are terrorists can be stopped. In the next few blogs I will speculate as to how we can do this and hopefully address terrorism in a realistic way.


Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment