Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Will I help out?

Today I was taking some computers to be recycled. It was out in the country. On the way there I saw an older man in the middle of the road with an even older woman in a wheel chair. He looked a little lost and I did not know what to make of it. I continued on to the recyclers and dropped off my computer. On the way back I saw the couple again. I saw that they were trying to hitch a ride. At first I was thinking that there was not enough room for me to stop and get them and the chair in the car. But I realized that I could not leave them out there. So I stopped to pick them up.
A cop came up and examined the situation. He had received several calls from concerned drivers. After I got the couple and the chair in the car I took them a few miles to a relative. The man was the son and in his 50s. The woman was in her 80s. They had fallen on hard times and needed to stay at a relative for a few days. The mother also needed some medication that they were not able to get easily.
The episode made me wonder about helping each other out. Why did I not recognize they needed help the first time I drove past. Was it because I did not want to take the time to help or because it was not clear they needed help? Why did other people not help them during the time I was at the recyclers? Was it fear? We are not suppose to pick up hitchhikers but I could not see them as a threat. I think that a 6 foot 3 inch guy should not be scared of two small older adults. But I understand that other people may have some fear. Regardless it is tough for us to get involved in the lives of others even when it is to help them.
It would be easy to drive past people and not help them out. I do it often enough. I am glad I did not do it today but I am no angel. I hope today makes me more willing to stop and give a ride or help someone out when necessary.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment