Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Merry Christmas

I was passing out my tests today. I wanted to greet the students with a "Merry Christmas" to alleviate some of the tension in the room. But I didn't. Why? I figure someone would get offended and who needs that hassle.
Now I first blame myself. I feel a bit like a coward for not mentioning an innocent greeting. So the first culprit has to be myself.
But we are in an atmosphere where even pleasant greeting have become the terrain of the culture war. It seems that we go out of our way to become offended. That is not the way it should be. Even if we disagree with each other can we not accept each others greetings. If someone says "Happy Hanukkah" to me then I can just take it in stride even though I am not Jewish.
So on this holiday season I do wish everyone a Merry Christmas. If that offends you then bah and humbug to you as well. I do have a final on Friday. So I get another chance to greet my class with a hearty Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent point. I really really appreciate it when leaders / teachers / coaches take a moment to be bold - it is a witness of the individual's faith, an encouragement for others to also share theirs and it is a witness for the Kingdom. To me, in many circumstances it is like someone saying, "rejoice in remembering our Savior's birth!"

    I think also it is important to acknowledge those who take the first step with us as well. I called a department store today and the operator cheerily and genuinely answered, "Merry Christmas and happy holidays, how can I help?" I naturally wished her a very Merry Christmas too, but I think taking it a bit farther and saying "thank you so much for wishing me a Merry Christmas, not enough people feel comfortable saying that anymore, and I appreciate you keeping Christ in the season." would not only affirm that person but encourage them to continue forward doing the work of the Kingdom, even if it seems only to be a few simple words.

    Have a very merry Christmas!! May the Lord be with you as you continue to faithfully serve him!

    -M

    ReplyDelete