Friday, April 8, 2011

Dancing with Trouble

Okay I solved the problem of terrorism in my last few blogs so on to a more serious subject - dancing. Recently I have started to attend dancing lessons at the Electric Cowboy. It only costs me the three dollar cover and then I buy one drink so that I do not feel guilty about taking space in the nightclub. We have been working on a swing dance called the push. I have been twice but plan on making this a regular part of my routine. I must say that this is both fun and frustrating. I thought for a while that my dance instructor liked me until I realized that she was spending so much time with me because I am so bad as a swing dancer (now give me some r and b and then watch out!!!). But it is fun to learn something new and that is the point of this blog entry. Too often people my age get settled into their lives and do not want to learn new things. But learning new things is an important part of life. I remember reading somewhere that learning new tasks is important for helping us to stay healthy and mentally active. So while I have accidentally happen upon these dance lessons, I have intended on trying to learn something new in my life. It may be that I throw myself into swing dancing (I can see myself on Dancing with the Star now. Only I will not drop Kristi Alley) or something else will take my fancy. But I want to learn something new. By the way. Something new is not a different sociological statistical or methodological technique or discovering some new academic theorist. I have been doing that for the past twenty years or so. To learn something new it has to be something that is totally out of our comfort zone. Swing dancing is that for me, at least right now. And it has been fun. And frustrating. Sincerely, Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment