Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Truth or Birth

Remember the 9-11 truthers? They were the mostly left-wing nutjobs who argued that President Bush was behind 9-11. Supposedly Bush did this to help increase his popularity. Still sounds stupid today.
Well now we have the birthers. They are the mostly right-wing nutjobs who argue that President Obama was not born in the United States. I guess that way back someone knew that Obama would be the future president if they could fake his birth in the United States. They sound about as stupid as the birthers.
Under normal circumstances I would basically ignore both groups. They do not represent the left (truthers) or the right (birthers). They can be entertaining but are not much good for anything else.
But now the birthers have their champion. His name is Donald Trump. I should ignore him too. However, some of the recent surveys show that Trump is a leading contender as a possible Republican candidate for President. So I can not totally ignore the birthers. I have to wonder why so many people can fall for this crude.
I have heard some people say that they like Trump because he is a straight talker. He is not PC and will say what is on his mind. But if what is on his mind is a bunch of illogical thinking then what good is that? Do people really think that Trump is right? If so then heaven help us.
It does not bother me that some kooks believe in the birther nonsense. It does disturb me that a sizable percentage of the population does. What can we do to help people become clearer thinkers on issues like this? I see Trump's popularity as a warning that we have allowed to much sloppy thinking in our society. I hope we take the warning seriously.

Sincerely,

Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment