Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Have you seen the commercial for the new "comedy" series Wilfred on FX. Please spare me. It looks as funny as that other FX knee slapper "Its always Sunny in Philadelphia." If terrorist ever want to get information out of me all they have to do is sit me down in front of that program for about 10 minutes. Of course FX makes up for these shows with the classic "The League." Not. Do not get me wrong. I like FX when they put the right movies on the air. Because that is what they are known for. Good sci-fi movies. It is when they dabble into "comedy" that they seem totally clueless. But they are not the only channel that has lost its way. I loved the History channel. I often fantasized that one day we may have a sociology channel with shows as interesting as what they did with history channel. Shows like "The Barbarians", and "Dogfights" were highly entertaining and informative. I remember non-war presentations of biblical history and the historical westward expansion. It was great. But now. Come on. Swamp People? Top Shot? Ax Men? What does that have to do with history. You can not bribe me to watch those shows with all the cheesecake in the world. What happen here. What I think happened in both cases is you had TV channels that forgot what they were. They went for something that they thought was glamours like comedy for FX and contemporary human drama for the History channel. In doing so they lost what made them special. At least in my eyes. Maybe these shows are succeeding. But I can not help but to think that something has been lost. That is one of the dangers of forgetting who you are. In time I like to see both TV channels return to their roots and give me something I can not get somewhere else. But in the meantime I like to think that what I have observed helps to keep me remembering who I am. There is only one me and I like to think that the world would be a little poorer if I tried to be something or someone else. But I could be wrong about that. Sincerely, Trouble-Maker

No comments:

Post a Comment